CEO and Senior Instructor
About the instructor
Sara is a passionate tutor and online trainer who specializes in using the Orton-Gillingham (OG) approach while working with students with Dyslexia and any other learning differences. She has trained in many OG-based programs and has been certified to teach the OG approach from the Dyslexia Training Institute based out of the University of San Diego. Sara has helped develop the aardvark program and has made it unique by using her extensive background in sport and physical activity (M.A. Human Kinetics) to integrate movement in order to build physical literacy and traditional literacy in struggling students.
Become an expert in closed syllable spelling patterns, and get the ready-to-use lessons to help you teach your students!
This module will introduce the closed syllable and will teach you the rules that fall within closed syllable word patterns. We will teach you each skill that you will need to use with your student within Module 2 of the aardvark program. You will also be given all of the lesson plans, word lists and extras that you will be using with your student.
By the end of this course you will be able to:
- Explain and identify the closed syllable pattern.
- Teach students when to double the final consonant in a closed syllable word.
- Teach students when to use a 'k' and when to use 'ck' for the final /k/ sound in a closed syllable word.
- Teach students when to use 'ch' and when to use 'tch' for the final /ch/ sound in a closed syllable word.
- Teach students when to use 'dge' to spell the final /j/ sound in a closed syllable word.
- Teach students when to use 'c' and when to use 'k' for the initial /k/ sound in a word.
- Teach students the 2 sounds of the letter 'c' and when to use which.
- Teach students the 2 sounds of the letter 'g' and when to use which.
- Teach students when to double the final consonant before adding a suffix.
- Describe and teach students the process of syllabication.
- Explain the concept of a closed syllable schwa and teach it to your students.
- Implement each lesson within module 2 as well as demonstrate each multi-sensory activity included in the Activities List.