CEO and Senior Instructor
About the instructor
Sara is a passionate tutor and online trainer who specializes in using the Orton-Gillingham (OG) approach while working with students with Dyslexia and any other learning differences. She has trained in many OG-based programs and has been certified to teach the OG approach from the Dyslexia Training Institute based out of the University of San Diego. Sara has helped develop the aardvark program and has made it unique by using her extensive background in sport and physical activity (M.A. Human Kinetics) to integrate movement in order to build physical literacy and traditional literacy in struggling students.
Sara Dorken - CEO and Senior Trainer
Want to help dyslexic students? Help is here. Let's get started.
Do you want to be a tutor? Are you a parent who wants an in-depth knowledge of the Orton-Gilingham approach?
Intro to aardvark give you the foundation upon which you can build your Orton-Gillingham knowledge and move forward with Aardvark lesson plans for your students.
By the end of this course you will be able to:
- List and explain the 6 components of phonemic awareness as well as how to apply your knowledge to activities you will use with your students.
- Accurately pronounce and identify all of the consonants, vowels, consonant digraphs, vowel teams, diphthongs and r-controlled vowels in the English language.
- Identify and explain the 7 syllable types in the English language.
- Demonstrate how to teach sight words to your students.
- List the word families in English, categorized by syllable type.
- Implement the Aardvark Lesson Plan and demonstrate over 20 activities that are used to teach the concepts within the program.
- Implement a selection of reading comprehension strategies
- Correctly organize and set up student and tutor binders.
- Identify the best practices for working with students with Dyslexia and other learning disabilities/differences.
Finally know how to help dyslexic students
Make a real difference in someone’s life
Upgrade your teaching resume
Start your own at-home specialty tutoring business
Learn the Orton-Gillingham approach for an affordable price
Receive unprecedented support from Aarken Tutoring Inc. We want you to succeed!
- Downloadable resources (worksheets, PDF guides, etc.)
- Direct email access to the course instructor
- Monthly live webinars
- Access to private Facebook group with other Aardvark Certified Tutors
Why should I choose aardvark over other, more established programs?
Aardvark is the only program that integrates training in the Orton-Gillingham method, a full set of ready to use lessons, readers and extras all while using activities that build physical literacy while teaching dyslexic or struggling readers how to successfully read and spell. You’ll get a traditional OG program that’s also active, fun and effective!
Why should I open a tutoring clinic?
In many, many areas around the world, there are not enough resources to serve the over 20% of all people who have difficulty with reading and spelling. Your clinic will be part of the solution and will be well positioned to find clients. If you’re taking this course to help your own child, consider opening a clinic to help others too!
Can I use this in my classroom?
Yes! The background knowledge you will receive will be invaluable in helping the struggling readers in your classroom. If you are able to work with students.
How long will this training take?
This introductory module will take around 20 hours to complete. This course work can be done at your own pace, on your own time.
How long before I can open up a clinic and start helping students?
After you complete the Intro to aardvark course and Module 1, you can start working with students. You can begin the logistics of setting up your business anytime, even while working on the Intro module or even before that! Why not start today?
Where can I find an Aardvark Certified Tutor?
Aardvark Certified Tutors can be found HERE.
What if I am dyslexic? Can I still teach this course?
Yes! If you are dyslexic you are in the unique position of understanding the struggles of your students. Much of our content is video-based and our text-based content is accompanied by audio.
- Intro to Aardvark - $199.00
Still unsure if this is the right course for you? Check out the free trial. If you decide that this IS the course you’ve been waiting for to get yourself trained up to help a struggling reader AND make money while doing it, then make the purchase! If after 30 days you are not satisfied with the course, you will receive a full refund.
- What's in this chapter?
- Phonemic Awareness – Key Terms
- Phonemic Awareness - Introduction
- Activities - Phonemic Awareness
- Video - Phoneme Segmentation
- Video - Phoneme Deletion
- Video - Phoneme Matching
- Video - Phoneme Counting
- Video - Phoneme Substitution FREE PREVIEW
- Video - Blending
- What if they don't get it?
- What is a Syllable?
- 7 Syllable Types - Overview
- Closed Syllables Description
- Closed Syllables
- Closed Syllable Work Sheet
- Open Syllables Description
- Open Syllables
- Open Syllables Work Sheet
- VCE Syllables Description
- Vowel-Consonant-e Syllables
- VCE Syllables Work Sheet
- Vowel Team Syllables Description
- Vowel Team Syllables
- Vowel Team Syllables Work Sheet
- Diphthong Syllables Description
- Diphthong Syllables
- Diphthong Syllables Work Sheet
- R-Controlled Syllables Description
- R-Controlled Vowel Syllables
- R-Controlled Syllables Work Sheet
- Consonant-le Syllables Description
- Consonant-le Syllables
- Consonant-le Syllables Work Sheet